Petition to Fire Pat Buchanan
For years, Pat Buchanan has passed off white supremacist ideology as legitimate mainstream political commentary. And MSNBC continues to pay him and give him a platform on national TV to do it.
And he’s at it again.
Buchanan has just published a book which says that increasing racial diversity is a threat to this country and will mean the “End of White America.”1 To promote his book, he went on a white supremacist radio show whose host has said things like “MLK’s dream is our nightmare,” and “interracial sex is white genocide.”2
Buchanan should be able to say just about anything he wants. But MSNBC — a network that is now working to position itself as the progressive alternative to FOX News and CNN — doesn’t have to pay him money and give him an international television platform to spread his racist lies.
MSNBC President Phil Griffin considers the network “the place to go for progressives.”3
But promoting bigotry and racism is anything but progressive. Buchanan’s laundry list of unabashed white-supremacy includes downplaying slavery,4 writing a book in which he advocated shutting down our borders to maintain white dominance and espoused the genetic superiority of whites,5 complaining that confirming Elena Kagan would put too many Jews on the Supreme Court,6 and even defending Hitler. Repeatedly.7
If Buchanan wasn’t paid money and given a powerful media platform, he’d be just another person with outdated, extremist ideas. But it’s irresponsible and dangerous for MSNBC to promote his hateful views to an audience of millions.
Thank you for standing up to hate.
Ali Rozell, Campaign Manager
CREDO Action from Working Assets
1.“Twelve Pretty Racist Or Just Crazy Quotes From Pat Buchanan’s New Book,”Jillian Rayfield, Talking Points Memo, 10-24-2011.
2. “Pat Buchanan Appears On ‘Pro-White’ Radio Show,”Media Matters, 10-23-2011.
3. “Phil Griffin: ‘MSNBC Stands For Something …Is Really The Place To Go For Progressives,'”Mark Joyella, Mediaite, 6-20-2011.
4. “Buchanan: ‘What is happening now to white men right now is exactly what was done to black folks for years,'”Matt Corley, ThinkProgress, 5-6-2009.
5. “Buchanan Argues For Immigration Moratorium To Preserve White Dominance,”Judd Legum , ThinkProgress, 8-22-2006.
6. “Buchanan complains that with Kagan, Supreme Court will have too many Jews,”Media Matters, 5-14-2010.
7. “MSNBC’s Pat Buchanan defends Hitler. Again.”Media Matters, 9-02-2009.